Just picked up my bib and swag for tomorrow’s Historic Roswell 5k. This inaugural race which also includes a 10 mile Race, totals about 1500 participants and is benefiting Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA)- our local children’s hospital.
|Nice lulu lemon bag, Tshirt will be at finish. LOTS of coupons for free stuff and discounts too – Skyzone Fitness Classes, Pizza, Drinks, Popcorn and Drinks at the Movies, even a teeth bleaching! NICE SWAG!||!|
As a member of Team RUN3rd, I am dedicating this race to my dear college friend Melissa and her family who lost their daughter Taylor, diagnosed in July of 2007, to a rare very form of cancer in on April 1st 2008. I also want to run in Taylor’s memory. Since Taylor’s passing, Melissa, Jeff and Kristen started the Taylor Brooks Foundation as a way to honor Taylor – who when going through treatment at CHOA :
- Went to school everyday she was not in treatment
- Kept statistics for the CHHS Girl’s Varsity Soccer team, acting as a team manager
- Was the poster child for Red Cross Blood Drive at Georgia Tech yielding 300 pints
- Volunteered as a score keeper at an International Karate Competition
- Organized a holiday party for the patients and parents at the AFLAC Cancer Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Organized fund raising to bridge the technology budget gap for the new AFLAC Cancer Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Taylor was honored by CHOA as the one selected to cut the ribbon opening of the AFLAC Cancer Center at CHOA. She went to heaven less than a week later. How bittersweet for my dear friend Melissa – Taylor was too weak to hold the scissors herself and cut ribbon.
Taylor’s family created the Taylor Brooks Foundation to remember their beautiful daughter and to try to comfort those fighting the battle against pediatric cancers.
at a level commensurate with its impact to our society
Our mission is to serve patients, families and doctors dealing with rare forms of childhood cancer through:
- increasing the visibility of Cancer
- humanitarian support of the patients and care-givers
- resources to analyze and implement treatment options
- resources to research new treatments
- Distribute 50 new diagnosis Kits to new patient parents
- Deliver Sunday Morning Donuts
- Host annual Taylor Brooks Christmas Party at her treatment Hospital
Our local news did a feature on Melissa here: HERO CENTRAL: Mom Shares Donuts
Bravo to Melissa, Jeff, Kristen and all those who help leave a legacy Taylor would be proud of. You are all truly heroes, I run my race for you and will be carrying all your names with me in in my heart tomorrow morning.
If you have a dedication you would like to add to my dedications for tomorrows race, let me know! I would be proud to add them to my list.
- Five Reasons to Visit Volcano Bay - October 3, 2018
- Raccoon Mountain Caverns A Fun Family Adventure - August 10, 2018
- New Marvel Boutique Opens at Universal Orlando Resort With All the Gear a Super Stylish Super Hero Needs - August 3, 2018