|Click on image to go great Princess Half Info!|
One of the thing that truly makes a runDisney Race are the characters along the way cheering on the runners and available for photos. Disney brings out some GREAT opportunities to see character not easily seen outside of special events.
My suggestion, take a camera with you if you want photos. Charge it up overnight and before you leave your room, take a photo with whatever camera you are using on the course. See one year, I walked out of the room forgetting to put my battery in my camera…didn’t realize it until we were at Epcot to start. You can always hand your camera to the character handler OR a Princess in line behind you…and return the favor! Marathonfoto is the official photographer for the Princess Race – touched on some tips in my post “How to Get Great Race Day Photos”. Meranda from Fairytales and Fitness has some GREAT pricing and package info in her post “What Marathonfoto has told us: Just in time for Disney Princess Races!”
Two years ago in the runDisney Expo booth that had a list of characters and where they would be on the course. LOVED it! They did not have it last year, but I can tell you it was pretty much the same with a few modifications.
I am NOT saying they will do all these again this year, here is how it went down in past years. I always try to have my camera on the ready! AND when handing off your camera to someone, have it ready to go!
- The first 2 miles you don’t see much, its still dark out there. There have some family ChEARleaders outside the Epcot Parking lot along with a High School band.
- You hear the Pirates of the Caribbean music and to your LEFT you will see the ship and Captain Jack..who has been with pirates or alone. Its still dark outside and the line is long for this one. I tend to skip it and hit it later – you will run by this again, when its lighter as I think the photos come out a tad better, but this is a total judgement call on your part with regards to line length and your pace.
|Pirates In The Dark…still can get a good shot THANKS Marge from Tiny Bits of Magic!|
- Shortly after that, again on the left about 2.6 miles you come across the Heroes/Princes also on LEFT. Again, its still dark so I just usually skip this for later because the line is long and you hit them on the way back. Of course if I were a little faster and in one of the earlier corrals, I would wait.
- NOT on the map above but around the Walt Disney World Track Driving Experience Lightning McQueen set up last year on the LEFT, and the year before, they had some drivers and one of the cars. Made for a fun photo.
- Around mile 3.4 on your RIGHT, are the Villains….. this is a GREAT opportunity to get them all together and the price is a SUPER LONG line. If you want this photo, you might need to sacrifice something later. AND if you are already struggling with 16 minute mile pace, just take a candid – they make great keepsakes too and keep on moving forward.
- After about mile 5.5 you are in the Magic Kingdom
- Tomorrowland: Buzz Lightyear has been there all three years, hasn’t been a bad line at all.
- Fantasyland: Alice and Mad Hatter Line at Teacups, looked long went by super fast.
- New Fantasyland : LAST YEAR… Belle and Gaston had 2 separate lines and they were SUPER long. We waited in both though while we were in line a couple of use used the potties.
- Before you go through the Castle: This is a bottleneck the further back you are. To your right I believe, there has been Cinderella and her Prince – I mean it IS her Castle and/or Royal Mickey and Minnie. I think one year they switched out between them, last year Cindy was after you exited the park. This is a line SO long at this point I have never stopped. But this might be my great white whale this race. I will sacrifice the Villains, and any princesses in Magic Kingdom, well unless I see my costume OR the Frozen Gals. I have my strategy, but you never know what magic they could throw our way with characters.
|Tania from The Adult Side of Disney is looking incredibly Royal!|
- CASTLE PHOTO: Coming out of the CASTLE, if you want the Official Money Shot, STAY LEFT. You will see the line, it looks really horrible…granted its long and might be all the way up the ramp…BUT they have several photographers taking photos, so it moves. Here is photo of Patty and I last year you can see the crowd in the upper left hand corner. I tell ya, the castle for us was a very slow shuffle. Do NOT try to go back up to the line, its REALLY backed up and well princesses get a little um not so magical towards you. IF you miss the line or don’t want to wait, some friendly princess can take your photo next to where Marathonfoto is set up too. Just pick a spot between 2 of the photogs and my advice once you get down….Move towards the photogo furthest away from the ramp if they have seperate lines.
|See the shuffle coming out of the castle|
- Liberty Square – the first year I did the race, the Haunted Mansion ladies were out on your right, and yep long line cuz WHEN do you see them? Well they haven’ been back since. The past 2 years, Tiana and Crew have been on the left. Not too bad a line wait.
- Frontierland – Jessie, Bullseye, Woody. In some combination or alone, they are usually over to the left. Not a bad line either.
- Exiting the Park: As you exit the park over the railroad tracks, you will come to parade float staging area. Last year SUPER long line for Cinderella and Her Prince -OR- Aurora and Philip, they switched out. Years past there has been a Peter Pan Group by their float, the Three fairies with Aurora, Pinocchio and others. These lines have been on the long side, so just keep an eye on your pace and time to be safe.
Miles 7 and 8:
- In past years have been Belle and Gaston, The Fairies, Mary Poppins and Burt, Lilo and Stitch, Pocahontas and Meeko, Genie….it varies here. This part of the course is TIGHT and things tend to slow down because of it. If you are in line stay off the course as best as possible. These lines are not too terribly long, though mile 8 is a sweep point, so keep an eye on your time.
- By the wedding pavilion there are usually some cheesy guys that make for super fun pics. In the past, though not last year, Cinderella’s carriage was along here.
- Just after Mile 9, in the words of Dolly Parton..”Here You Come Again……” its the HEROES! Opportunity #2 and in my opinion much shorter line,though can still appear long.
|With the Heroes and Amy from Moms Magical Miles.|
- SHORTLY after that is Princess Atta, who isn’t out at the beginning. The A Bug’s Life Princess really doesn’t have much of a line either.
- Just before mile 10, you have Captain Jack AGAIN. Same as the heroes, I think the line is shorter than on the way out and with MY camera I get better daytime photos.
- As you go up the hill the cloverleaf on ramp going from one road to another, Sarge from Toy Story is there to greet you. Short line that moves fast. I think at this poitn people want to be done. He is on the left..which by the way is the least banked part of this dreaded hill.
- The approach to Epcot has included Mulan and Mushu and Mrs Incredible. Very short lines..I think people are just ready to be done by mile 11.
- EPCOT: As you enter Epcot, there were Phineas and Ferb last year. Also opportunities with Marie from Aristocats, Pinnochio last year and the Fairy Godmother – and a very pink larger than life Fairy God Mom who switches out with Cindy’s. Not sure who the pink fairy is, but she is a hoot. AND I think people want to be done, so these lines are very short….plus once you are in Epcot, they will let you finish the race I have heard.
As you get ready to finish, Mickey and Gang will be at the Finish line in some combination. While they don’t have photographers set up, if you are quick you can get a nice character photo before you finish strong like my friend Patty below.
|Patty from Margaritas Miles and the Mouse Finishing Strong, finish is behind her.|
Whew, they have ALOT of characters on this course. I am sure some things will be a little different, just for some magic. Please y’all keep an eye on your time…these Character Photo stops can take a while….how long? I posted my experiences in this post How Long are The Character Lines covering my stops and times the past 2 years… can you say 32 minute mile?
I am looking forward to seeing who will be on the course with us this year for the Princess Half. Thinking I am going for Royal Mickey and Minnie.
Do you stop for character photos? Who are you willing to wait in line for?
For all my Princess Half Posts….. checkout my runDisney Page including all my Princess Half Marathon experiences – chock full of recaps, and useful race weekend info. Have a great race Princesses!
AND a big thanks to DISTherapy and Margaritas, Miles and the Mouse for this wonderful all things Princess Half Marathon Blog Hop! 33 Bloggers y’all! Check it out!
- Five Reasons to Visit Volcano Bay - October 3, 2018
- Raccoon Mountain Caverns A Fun Family Adventure - August 10, 2018
- New Marvel Boutique Opens at Universal Orlando Resort With All the Gear a Super Stylish Super Hero Needs - August 3, 2018