Thrilled to announce, I have been asked to return as an Ambassador for my favorite race, the Publix Savannah Womens Half Marathon and 5k. The city of Savannah has a wonderful welcoming spirit in both the people and what is offered. Want to know why you should run Savannah with me? Along with some facts about the race itself, I give you:
Five Reasons to Run or Walk Publix Savannah Women’s Half and 5k
1. The Course –
- It is a very flat course. That is great for Personal Record hopefuls and just for those of us who need a break from hills.
- This is a completely different course than the Rock N Roll Half Marathon – not that RNR is a bad course, this just gives you another view of the city.
- Both the Half and 5k start together; if you are with a friend doing the half and you are doing the 5k and vice versa, you can run together for some of it.
- Scenic Routes –
- Half Marathon Route: 12 city Squares, Scenic Washington Avenue, 2 Recreational Parks, Finish at Forsyth Park Fountain
- 5k Route: 7 City Squares, Centered in Savannah’s Historic District, Finish at Forsyth Park Fountain.
- You can see larger version of the course map here.
2. The Size and Logistics –
- 2015 Half Marathon was around 1250 runners, with approximately 50 of those being men, see y’all are welcome to run too! FYI no awards for the men as this is a women’s centered race, however you are more than welcome to sign up.
- 2015 5k was around 700 runners with 24 of those men.
- The course supports the size of the race too. It did take a mile to shake out the crowd from the start, but that is true of most races.
- Now, if you noticed above the course does have some out and backs, being a slower runner it was great getting smiles and encouragement from those faster runners!
- Pace Groups are running and all are welcome to join in.Even if you don’t run with the pace group, the visual is nice to know you are ahead, on pace or behind.
- The course limit is generous for you turtles out there,hey happy turtle here. 4 hours max for the half, 1 hour for the 5k! You don’t have to be superfast to enjoy the race besides, the scenery is superb.
3. The City –
- Need a reason to visit Savannah?
“America’s #1 Most Charming Accent” – Travel + Leisure, April 2013
“Top 10 Cities in the United States” (#9) – Condé Nast Traveler, October 2013
“Best City for Affordable Getaway” – Travel + Leisure, May 2013
“A Top 20 Awesome City to Visit in your 20s” – Huffington Post, November 2013
“Forsyth Park: Top 25 Parks in the World” – Trip Advisor, August 2013
“10 Best Most Romantic North American City” – USAToday, February 2014
“19 Truly Charming Places in the World to See Before you Die” – BuzzFeed.com, February 2014
“Best Girls Trip” – USAToday Travel, April 2014
“The Best American Cities for Foodies (#14)” – Condé Nast Traveler, May 20124
“A World’s Best City for United States & Canada (#3)” – Travel & Leisure, July 2014
“World’s Friendliest Cities (#16)” – Condé Nast Traveler, July 2014
- If you are interested in hearing some of my suggestions on having a GREAT race weekend in Savannah – outside the actual race itself, read about it here.
- If you are the type who is interested in history, Savannah has the largest historic district in the US. Block after block, you are immersed in the architecture and style that defined Savannah.
- Its flat and VERY walk-able which is a great way to shake out those race legs!
4. The Swag and Perks –
- Each finisher, for both the 5k and the half marathon gets a Medal.
- Each registrant in 2015 received a bag from New Balance and Publix provided gear check bags, we got cute magnets too!
- NOTE: The bags came in super handy at the expo. While this is not a huge race, there were running related items from Fleet Feet Sports for those who needed or forgot to pack Gus, Tape, etc. There was also a New Balance area selling clothing, shoes and more. The shirts are so lightweight. BUT what made the expo stand out to me were the local artisan merchants, you got to see some of the best products Savannah has to offer! The bag came in handy for me to load up my haul – my All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend from The Salt Table; my peppermint soap from Nour-ish; Cookies and oh so southern cheddar biscuits from Byrds Famous Cookies, Royal Body Butter from Savannah Bee Company, and more. LOVED the local product showcase.
- Post Race Beverage at the after party at the park – with a band playing and all participants receive EITHER ONE either beer, wine or soft drink. Cheers y’all!
- A variety of great celebration restaurants all just a short stroll away when you are ready to dine.
5. The Discount –
- Have I convinced you to sign up yet? YES! Right now as an ambassador I am able to offer a $10 discount on registration for the Half Marathon. Sorry this won’t work on the 5k, but its really a bargain for what you get. Just enter Promo Code RWR10 when you register and savings will be applied. Without a discount, this race is worth it, but I am happy to be able to save you a little coin.
So who will be running Savannah Women’s Half with me in 2016? Sign up at www.savannahwomenshalf.com.
- Five Reasons to Visit Volcano Bay - October 3, 2018
- Raccoon Mountain Caverns A Fun Family Adventure - August 10, 2018
- New Marvel Boutique Opens at Universal Orlando Resort With All the Gear a Super Stylish Super Hero Needs - August 3, 2018