Fun post for me today, I get to help y’all get a little healthier thanks to Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon and 5k and giveaway a $50 Publix Gift Card!
I love Publix, no secret its my store of choice and I concur that Shopping Is A Pleasure. From the employees to the cleanliness of the store to the variety of products carried its the best! They do an excellent job of carrying all the items we use and love the house brand which includes organic choices. They carry 3 of my favorite running related items: Coconut Water, Kind Bars and Blue Emu lotion for aches and pains – no really its the best for Plantar Fasciitis. Need a last minute gift, the Gift Card kiosk has saved me many a day! And if you run a race sponsored by Publix, count on lots of goodness at the finish.
Last weekend we were invited to our neighbors to watch football. When I watch football I crave Buffalo Wings. If you look at nutritional value of the wing, depressing. The skin is fat, the bad kind and they are fried – not to mention soaked in butter before being fried. SIGH. I prefer the skinless wings, but even then, looking at the nutritional value, they are bad for most meal plans and certainly for someone whose family has a bad heart history. Buffalo Chicken Chili to the rescue!
I came across this recipe which I believe was originally on Better Crocker and its been my go to chili these days. Its slow cooker easy prep and taste of eating a bowl of chicken wings without the guilt of the skin, frying and fat or the hassle of the bones.
- 2 1/2 pounds of Boneless Chicken Thighs Cut Up in Cubes ( I didn’t cut them up)
- 1 Large Onion Chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 Medium Stalks Celery Sliced, about 1 cup
- 2 Medium Carrots Chopped, About 1 cup
- 1 Can 28 ounce Diced Tomatoes, Undrained (I use sauce)
- 1 Can Black Beans (15oz), Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce from Jar
- Crumbled Blue Cheese as garnish
MY modifications for my family’s tastes:
- Tomatoes: My husband doesn’t like cooked tomatoes even diced, so I always use sauce. I used 2 small 15 ounce cans.
- Beans: I added a 15oz can of Pinto Beans for bulk
- Chicken: I did NOT cut it up. I shredded the chicken after cooked before serving. I also only use 2 lbs.
- Broth: I have made with both Chicken and Vegetarian, both worked fine with me.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce, I always use Franks and we actually like it spicy so I use 1/2 cup.
I love soups and stews as you CAN easily substitute and add items, don’t be afraid to experiment to your tastes.
- Spray slow cooker with oil or use slow cooker bag liner ( I used our homemade spray)
- Mix all ingredients in the Slow Cooker except for hot sauce and blue cheese
- Cook on low setting for 8 hours – 10 hours.
- Add hot sauce in slow cooker before serving
- Garnish bowls with blue cheese crumbles if desired
- Serve with Celery, Carrots or Chips
My Tips and Tweaks:
- I use my Zyliss Chopper to cut up the veggies which makes prep SUPER fast.
- I cooked last batch on Slow Cooker High Setting, after 4 hours I removed the chicken to shred with a fork, then cooked another 30 minutes.
- I have measured out some dressing to dip my carrots and celery in. I try to avoid chips they are my downfall.
- If you are watching sodium, you can make your own hot sauce – 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper. I have not tried this, its a suggestion from the recipe site.
I looked up the nutritional info and you can find it on the Betty Crocker recipe. This recipe is rich in fiber and protein a tad high on the sodium, but for me I get the taste of my beloved wings without having to fight only eating 3 wings and the guilt of the frying. If you have any recipes that are good substitutes for fatty guilty pleasures, feel free to share, I need all the help I can get.
AND NOW FOR THE GIVEAWAY. Publix wants to give you the chance to make your kitchen a healthier place with a $50 Gift Card. One reader will win the $50 Publix Gift Card value via Rafflecopter giveaway link. Giveaway open 1/22/15 through 1/30/2015 11:59m EST. Winner will be notified via email and card will be mailed via US Post. Open to US residents only. Must be 18 to enter. Void where prohibited. GOOD LUCK!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
If you want to sign up for the inaugural Publix Savannah Women’s Half and 5k, go here and save yourself $5 by using the code RunWalkRepeat5. I invite you to follow some great bloggers, my fellow race ambassadors Victoria, Claudia, Ashley, and Caitlin. Prepare to be inspired, some fab ladies I can’t wait to meet in person race weekend!
Thanks to Publix Savannah Half Marathon and 5k for giving me the prize for this giveaway. As disclosure, as an ambassador of the Publix Savannah Half and 5k, I received gift card for this post, but please know all opinions are always mine, and I was happy to load up my pantry with some healthy items to avoid the wings and get my healthy snack on.
Will I see you in Savannah?
Latest posts by Julie @RunWalkRepeat (see all)
- Five Reasons to Visit Volcano Bay - October 3, 2018
- Raccoon Mountain Caverns A Fun Family Adventure - August 10, 2018
- New Marvel Boutique Opens at Universal Orlando Resort With All the Gear a Super Stylish Super Hero Needs - August 3, 2018