|Photo Courtesy of Margaritas Miles and the Mouse
I am a huge Race Photography fan – the pictures document your race accomplishment. They can show determination, the thrill of the finish AND that racing is FUN! One of the best aspects of the runDisney race, setting it apart from all others, are the fab Race Photo Opportunities…whether with a favorite character or ride as a backdrop. Here are some of my tips for runDisney’s Tinker Bell Half and really ANY race – whether using the services of Marathonfoto.com or using your own camera along the course.
Running THROUGH the Parks on a runDisney race AND at Tinker Bell Half, keep this in mind for your photos:
- Photos when its Dark Outside: The first part of the Tink race is through the Disney’s California Adventure and Disneyland parks and its still dark. Keep this in mind as you bring your camera or take your own pictures. I never can seem to get good photos on my iPhone or Cannon ELPH, so I just tend to take LOTS of pictures hoping for the best…and usually get something. Marathonfoto has photographers at most of the characters. I have found their lighting can be hit or miss too….usually its better, but not always.
|The Dark Side Photo courtesy of Melissa with 13goingoncrazy
- When in the parks, take advantage of some the park Icons. Past races, the World of Color Fountains have been on, rides might be running and the parks are all lit up. Don’t forget you get some Holiday Magic with Its a Small World and the Castle Lights too.
|Photo Courtesy Melissa of 13goingoncrazy
- Disney Parks are LOADED with details, keep your eyes pealed for some fun pictures of those.
|Photo courtesy Summer of Running With Pixies
- At runDisney California Races, the Disney Character Photo opportunities are ALL in the parks. At a Walt Disney World Resort Races, they do have characters outside of the parks on the streets.
- Some characters have Marathonfoto Photographers, some do not. Either way, you can ask the character’s handler to take a photo with YOUR camera for free. I usually let the Marathonfoto people take one too, sometimes theirs is way better than mine, sometimes honestly its not.
- At the Tink Half, character lines are typically the longest at this race for Tink, Jack Sparrow and Darth Vader. If you are like me and slower, choose your characters carefully and keep an eye on your pace to make sure you are within the minimum pace to finish.
- If you want a Tinker Bell photo, last year she was high up on a float and you could get your photo made in front of the float. She was not at the inaugural Tink for photos.
- The money shot for most is the CASTLE PHOTO. I know this sounds vain, but practice some poses looking in a mirror. Then when its time, you know what to do!
- For Castle shot, typically as you come out from running through the castle, LOOK FOR the PHOTOGS from Marathonfoto. Really the line moves quick…and for me a must have photo. If you miss them, then use your own camera like Patty did! Notice there is Marathonfoto guy behind her on the ground.
|Photo Courtesy Margaritas, Miles and the Mouse
So HOW do people get Good Character Photos?
- As you approach the character, ask them a question. Their reply will make you smile I bet. I asked Captain Jack Sparrow, “Got any Rum?” He said “No. You?”…. I said “No, that is why I asked”. He replied “Pity”. I giggled as they snapped this one at Princess Half Marathon
- Walk up to character and ask “What is a good pose for us to do together than would make a fun picture?” I do that ALOT on races and in the parks for character photos.
|Julie and Amy from Moms Magical Miles Ham it Up at the Princess Half 2012
- Look at what the characters are doing, and mimic the pose! That is how my group got this fun shot at Princess Half Marathon.
- See the characters from your race attire? GET A PHOTO! When else are you going to get a photo with say Wendy AND Peter, or all the Lost Boys?
|Photo Courtesy Melissa of 13goingoncrazy
- If you are in a race costume with props, show them off. In this photo, Gaston totally grabbed Amy’s French Baguette out of her basket. That loaf was totally manhandled all along the race course.
|Photo Courtesy of Amy at MomsMagicalMiles
- “Don’t Be Shy” advice from my friend Jodi seen here with the heroes at the Princess Half.
|Photo Courtesy of Jodi at 2princessesontherun
So enough about the characters for now……..Here’s what to look out for on the open roads after the parks…or really on ANY race that is not runDisney.
- After you exit the Disney Parks and hit the streets of Anaheim, keep an eye open for interesting photographs to occupy your mind and help pass the miles. While you might think you are leaving the Pixie Dust behind, never fear, the streets are lined with spectators, chEARleaders, bands and I have heard the Red Hat Society Cheer squad on this race is HUGE and JUST when you need the motivation. Have your cameras ready – past runners spotted Micheal Jackson and Walt Himself. Really you never know WHEN you will get a fun race photo. I have found spectators who dress up LOVE having their photos taken. Its truly a great way to document what a unique race experience it has been and shows your non-runner friends the fun of the course.
|OK, NOT a Disney race, but this cheerleader is one of my faves ever! From July 4th Peachtree Road Race ATL 2013.
- I LOVE race signs…they make for a fun memory, see something that makes you laugh…snap a shot and share it with those not on the course.
|Photo Courtesy of Patty with Margaritas, Miles and the Mouse
AND now for advice on the BIG FINISH…the race finisher photo. You worked hard and trained so many runs, so get a great photo to document.
- I know you are tired, but look UP and ahead. Do not look down. Look how awesome Summer looks finishing the Tinker Bell Half last year. I love the focused race finish picture.
|Photo Courtesy of Summer at Running With Pixies
- If you are in costume with a prop….time to show it and be proud. My personal fave is from Wine and Dine Half. Slow but man it was a fun race.
|Go Julie…..time to enjoy your pretzel and beer!
- Running with a friend? Try to get the photographers attention at the finish you are together. Granted, the photogs at Marathonfoto have been known to cut off friends holding hands, but give it a try……it works sometimes.
Photo courtesy of Melissa with 13 Going On Crazy
OH and for the medal shot, with you and your medal….just make sure to stand up straight and suck in your gut. You might also want to just take a photo of your medal for posterity. AND if you go out to the parks after the race….CELEBRATE IT! Get some character photos with that bad boy on, you earned it!
|Photos Courtesy of Summer at Running With Pixies
If you are NOT a great photographer and want to pay for some good pics, check out Marathonfoto. Marathonfhoto is the OFFICIAL runDisney Race Photographer….you CAN pay them for some great pics or choose not too. Key points from me:
- Their photographers take candid race pics along the course AND with characters too.
- Their photographers on the course are often DOWN on the ground looking up. Um NOT the most flattering of positions even if you are a super model….just remember when you see them…suck in your gut…. AND SMILE!
- Photos are posted on their website by race about a week or so after the event. If they are taking your picture, MAKE SURE YOUR BIB NUMBER IS VISIBLE, that is how you can find your pictures, by your Race Number/Name.
- They offer prints of your photos and digital images. Digital can be ordered on a disk or you can download them.
- Prices run from run around $20 for single image to around $80 for the full shebang package…all your pics, movies of you finishing and bonus photos. These are the extras you get with the full shebang package purchase http://www.marathonfoto.com/site/gallerylogin which do actually make for some fun albums/videos.
- If you are patient, hold off on your purchase. They often offer discounts – in my experience, even a year after the race.
- Stop by the Marathonfoto booth at the Expo, they often offer race pre-order discounts.They will probably have a map of WHERE they will be along the course for candid photos. Just ask.
- Stop by the runDisney booth at the Expo and ask if they have a list of characters on the course. The answer is probably NO, BUT they have had this at certain races in the past.
That is it. I love race photos. I love seeing others and sharing mine. Thanks to my blogger friends 13goingoncrazy, 2princessesontherun.com, Margaritas, Miles and the Mouse, Moms Magical Miles and Running with Pixies who allowed me to share their Tinker Bell Half Race Photos and tips.
Tink runners….need some more GREAT tips on all aspects of Tinker Bell Half Race Weekend. Check out the Virtual Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend Blog. EVERYTHING you need to know….racing, food, parks accommodations and MORE….its all there! Just click on the Virtual runDisney Blog Hop image below to check out some other GREAT Bloggers.
So what do you think… did these tips help you out ANY for your race photo memories?
- Five Reasons to Visit Volcano Bay - October 3, 2018
- Raccoon Mountain Caverns A Fun Family Adventure - August 10, 2018
- New Marvel Boutique Opens at Universal Orlando Resort With All the Gear a Super Stylish Super Hero Needs - August 3, 2018